Wednesday 15 May 2013

Upclose and Personal with the sensational multi skilled Faya Uman

Upclose and personal with South Africa's versatile voice of  the ghetto queen. Faya Uman is a multi-talented songstress who grew up in the heart of the dusty ghetto streets of Soweto, South Africa. Her singing and songwritting abilities promises a good future for the South African Reggae industry. Get to know her a little better in the interview with Joy House Ent. 

 
 
 
JHE: Please tell us about yourself!

FAYA UMAN: I'm a township girl that went to a 'multi-racial' Catholic school that had predominantly Black/African Students. I then went to a Music College after matric and dropped out after my third year for various reasons. I tried 9-5ing it and ended up hopping from company to company so that didn't work and I decided to chill and start my own business. I've sold ama Kip Kip/skopas (Popcorns), I sold hamburgers at some point none of which was profitable. By Jah’s grace I met Bereket Tafari at the end of January 2012 and here we are today.

JHE: When and how did you 1st become interested in music?

FAYA UMAN: I became interested in music the day I discovered I can sing; I was 8 or 9 years old.

JHE: What are u musical influences?

FAYA UMAN: My musical influences come from participating in annual school musicals growing up, singing with my cousins at family gatherings and watching music videos of songs and artists I admired.

JHE: What made you choose Reggae/Dancehall?

FAYA UMAN: I didn't choose Reggae, Reggae chose Me.

JHE: Is your family musical? If yes, who?

FAYA UMAN: My father’s parents were musical apparently my late grandmother whom I never got a chance to meet and whom I'm named after was a singer and pianist. Most women in my family can sing.

JHE: What are your fondest musical memories, in your house or neighbourhood?

FAYA UMAN: I remember staying up late and watching music videos on Bop TV or Music TV dancing and singing along to the songs and mimicking the artists on the videos.

JHE: Who are your favourite musicians or Groups?

FAYA UMAN: There are a lot of artists that I love and would one love to work with, just to name a few Queen Ifrika, Dezarie, Letta­ Mbulu, Caiphus Semenya, Jimmy Dludlu, Lauryn Hill, Thandiswa Mazwai, Pro Kid,  goodness there’s a lot.

JHE:  What are some of the challenges that you face in the South African Reggae industry or in the entertainment industry as a whole?

FAYA UMAN: The Industry is full of megalomaniacs-power hungry badmind who unnecessarily make life difficult for upcoming artists who are trying to grow. Music Is A Business but there’s not enough investors for our raw South African Talent.

JHE: If you had an opportunity to make changes in the South African Reggae industry what would you change?

FAYA UMAN: We are not United as an industry, Lets Unite, because “United We Stand Divided We Fall”.

JHE: In 2010 you made all the way to the top 40 of the SA Pop Stars (Talent TV Show), tell us about the experience.

FAYA UMAN: The Pop Stars experience in 2010 was actually a turning point in my musical ambitions. I made it to the top 46 in the country as a wild card contestant and went on to the workshop in Durban. There I met 4 other talented sisters which we attempted to start an all-female group with once we were eliminated. That didn't work out but one of the girls then introduced me to Bereket Tafari two years later in 2012 and to her I shall forever be grateful.

JHE: How did that change your life as a musician?

FAYA UMAN: My life changed musically after I met Bereket, thanks to Jah and the girl I met while on Pop Stars who introduced me to him 2 years later.

JHE: Let's talk about 'Musical Chairs', which is your current project and it is well received. Who did you work with?

FAYA UMAN: (Smiles Happily) I worked with Bereket Tafari on Musical Chairs, he produced all 10 songs and co-produced ‘Lose Control’ with Rapid Black Freeman Son. I collaborated with KingMas from USA on ‘Ghetto Uman’ , Prophecy Izis from Canada on ‘Follow Your Heart’ Ras Melody from Eastern Cape on ‘Inhliziyo’’ and Sbiliboco from Soweto on ‘uMthunzi’.

JHE: Now I wanna talk about my favourite track & probably everyone else's who has their hands on your music, Inhliziyo ft Ras Melody, how did that collabo happen and wat was going through your mind when you wrote the song?

FAYA UMAN: Ïnhliziyo was inspired by the idea of the type of love I'd like to experience someday. I wrote to the riddim(Instrumental) and recorded it leaving spaces for a male collaborator which turned out to be Ras Melody and what a lovely job he did.

JHE: You have songs are currently receiving love on the airplay currently in different Reggae shows, how do u feel about that since Reggae music is not getting enough airplay in our radio stations?

FAYA UMAN:  I'm grateful and I give thanks to all the radio stations that have been playing my chunes (songs). I hope that someday my chunes are played outside the Reggae shows and play on mainstream commercial shows as well as the the message in the songs is important and it needs to reach the masses.

JHE: If you had an opportunity to work any international artist, who would it be and why?

FAYA UMAN: There’s many OuterNational (International) artists I'd love to collaborate with, artists such as Queen Ifrika, Dezarie, Erykah Badu, Damian Marley, Lauryn Hill, Capleton, Sizzla, Tarrus Riley, Luciano just to name a few.

 

JHE: Talking about international artists, you had an opportunity to perform alongside an International Reggae Artist, Luciano during his visit in South Africa. Please share the experience with us.

FAYA UMAN: It was an Honour and Privilege to open and back for ‘Jah Messenger’ Luciano and I shall forever be grateful to Solly Malatsi and ‘People Of The Sun Productions’ for the opportunity, oh what a spiritually fulfilling experience – Selah :-)

JHE: What makes your music different from anyone else's?

FAYA UMAN: My music is different because of that Reggae/Hip Hop/Kasi (Township)/Soul/Ghetto Female Fusion :-)

JHE: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

FAYA UMAN: In 5 years time I see myself steadily progressing in the mishaans (Mission) of Jah Army – Music is a Mishaan (Mission), not a Competition.

JHE: What are you currently working on and what are your plans for the future?

FAYA UMAN: I'm currently working on my 1st official album and in the near future I'd love to collaborate with some of Mzansi’s(South Africa’s) Raw Underground talent. - MUSIC TO DI WURL MI SEH!!!

To get a copy of her independently distributed album or to book FAYA UMAN contact:
Bereket Tafari
(+27 71 206 4847)
FACEBOOK: FAYA UMAN


Email : RiddimYutmusic@gmail.com

Listen & Share: uMthunzi - Faya Uman ft. Sbiliboco Produced By Bereket Tafari (Riddim Yut' Productions)
Mixed By : RapID

http://m.soundcloud.com/fayauman/umthunzi-faya-uman-ft
Listen & Share: Faya Uman Ft Ras Melody - Inhliziyo
http://m.soundcloud.com/fayauman/inhliziyo-faya-uman

No comments: